1. Tutorials - Standard Bondages
If you want
to learn Japanes Bondage, the best thing would be, to learn in a good
workshop with an experienced teacher.
1.1. The Standard Knot - Binding
1.2. Upper Bondage simple tie with hands in the back
1.3.1. 2-Rope-Takate Kote (2013)
1.3.2. 2-Rope Takate Kote (2008)
1.3.3. 2-Rope Takate Kote (2001)
1.3.4. If you
can not cross your arms at the back, that could be an alternative
1.5.How to fix the suspension rope
1.6. Suspension (Face down)
1.7. Suspension (Sideways)
1.8. Simple Suspension around the waist
1.10. Lower Body Harness
1.11.1. Momo Shibari Version 1
1.11.2. Momo Shibari Version 2
1.13. How to fix a Dildo at a Ropeharness
2. Tips and Tricks
To tie up the partner is something
that doesn't always have to happen in reality. It can be just a game of
phantasy as well. Sometimes phantasies realized are only half as exciting
as they had been as pure thought. That doesn't go against either the phantasies
or the partner.
But, like with all journeys:
You should at least know beforehand that you want to make this journey,
and where to go at least basically. The aim may stay a bit of a surprise.
As a preparation it's a good idea to read one of the bondage guides at the market. But even when we take care to stick to every safety rule in our games there may be unexpected and unforeseen occurances during a session; negative things which we can imagine only if they have happened already. This should not keep you from let your passions run wild; it's rather the advice that in such a case you shouldn't be terrified but react sensibly.
A short while ago the following
happened to me: After a bondage session one of my bondage victims complained
about a numb feeling of the right hand. The tightening of the rope around
the outer parts of the upper arm with the pull of the rope during a bondage
of the upper body may indeed lead to a restriction in the blood flow;
I knew about that. Because I know that I always tell the passive part
beforehand that I want to know immediately if he/she has the feeling that
the arms or hands are going numb. In this case I slacken the ropes at
What happened was this: The nerve normally running along the inner part of the arm by her was more to the side. Because of this the nerv was trapped, which led to a - fortunately only temporary paralysis. But it could have been much worse.
The human body is no machine - and it's as individual as the personality it accomodates.
Bondage - Ausstieg aus der Selbstkontrolle, Tom Schmidt, Männerschwarm Scipt Verlag, Hamburg 1999
Erotic Bondage Handbook, Jay Wiseman, Greenery Press, USA 2000
The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage by Midori, Greenerypress 2001, Distributed by Turnaround: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Some basic principles of Japanese bondage/shibari
1. before the start of any bondage session, there must be informed consent - this includes, especially with inexperienced bondage partners, that the possible risks of bondage have been explained. In addition, health and emotional restrictions must be clarified.
2. bondage can mean something different for everyone, therefore both partners should inform each other about their ideas and wishes for the planned session.
3. before you start to bondage with each other, you should tune in internally and clarify first for yourself and then together, where the journey should go.
4. your bondage partner is not a victim, but your accomplice. And every body is different.
5. your bondage partner is your best bondage teacher when she gives you good feedback.
6. disturbance reports ALWAYS have priority - disturbances must be fixed immediately. (Rule of 3 applies: model must be able to talk and report disturbances as soon as they occur (from cold feet, itchy nose to hands falling asleep), restrainer must respond immediately and fix disturbance. Also, he should know that someone can descend into subspace while tethering - then she or he should ask).
7) Tying up is part of the bondage session and not the end. After the bondage comes the aftercare - it is best to develop a common ritual to get back into the everyday mode, whether it is talking, caressing, holding, it doesn't matter.
8. in case of emergency: have safety scissors or other cutting tool (without sharp tip) ready. Never when tying up in pairs, cut the hanging rope, because generally you can't hold your partner with one arm.
9. neatly structured shackling makes it easier to untie in case of emergency.
10. tie hands or wrists too loosely rather than too tightly. And make sure that this restraint (emergency exit) can be opened at any time, because the hands are most likely to bitch.
11. after the base knot/base wrap at the wrists (single hand/both hands), the rope always continues in the direction the long end is pointing. This also applies to other places where the base wrap is used.
12. when tying up, the principle of pull and counter-pull applies as a matter of principle.
13. the double rope must never lie twisted on the body, parallel rope layers should also lie parallel.
14. if the rope meets an already coiled rope during guiding, the path continues underneath this rope - principle: rope should always run as close as possible to the body.
15. Tie the upper body as tightly
as possible, making sure that the layers below the chest (below the nipple
for men) are looser or at most equally tight than those above.
4. About a good Bondage Ambient
In my experiences with shibari performances and workshops, I have listening a question regularly: Ok, I already saw how to tie, but how can I produce a good ambient for it?
Really, the ambient setting is very important to make a sensual and exciting scene. Sure, if two persons are excited, they can be inside of an elevator and it'll be very exciting, but now we'll talk about produce an sensual atmosphere inside of "four walls".
Starting with the "soundtrack", because the music helps to provide an exciting ambient. The kind of the music can be chosen as the kind of atmosphere that you want to create, for example: a celtic kind music provides a confortable and relaxing sensation, however a gothic kind music generates a tense and scary atmosphere, but the both kinds can be very exciting. The eastern music is a very good resource for shibari, not only the japanese songs, the arabian and indian songs are very cool. The music choosing depends of the songs preferences and the intention of generate an especific atmosphere. Imagine a soft song at the background, while you are tying, at the same time that you kissing and caress the other person. If the music have a cadency changing and get stronger and faster, you can alternate with slaps, or start a waxplay, dropping the hot wax by all the sub's body.
The ambient lighting is very important too. Particularly, I prefer the candle lighting, with red candles, because they bring a "hot" look. Another good of the candles is the possibility of use for waxplay, but some colored candles are not proper for it, the aromatic candles are dangerous, because they'll can be very hot and can result in skin burning and allergy.
The aroma is another stimulating point (in this case, aromatic candles can be used for lighting and fragrance). I prefer the incense, because I think that the aroma is more pleasant. There are many kinds of incenses, including the relaxing and aphordisiac fragances.
Take a look how this ambient preparation is effective to the senses manipulation. The joining of the music, the look and the aroma results in the erotic stimulation of three senses (hearing, sight and smell), so all the place keeps the concentrating and involvement to the erotism. The touch and taste turns stronger by the other senses stimulation.
Itself, the shibari is already
a very exciting practice, but an especific atmosphere can quiteexpand
the erotic stimulation and turn it much more intense, really a great erotic
Highlander lives in Sao
Paulo, BR, and is the creator of Immortal Shibari (The first Brazilian
website dedicated to Shibari - due to personal reasons offline). His works
on shibari have appeared in such publications and web sites as: bondageproject.de,
RopeMarks, UOL Mix Brasil, Sexy Magazine, and many others.